Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The #1 Site for NFL News on the Net!

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your BCS solutions?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Back Judge

Number of posts : 55
Favorite Teams : Cincinnati Bearcats, Cleveland Browns
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Your BCS solutions? Empty
PostSubject: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 pm

What do you think the solution is to this terrible system we have now to select the National Champion? For the past couple of years, it has shown that the BCS National Championship game has obviously not been between the #1 and #2 teams in the country. Georgia, WVU, USC, amoung others could all have wiped the floor with tOSU this year. We need a system that prevents teams from sneaking their way into the championship game undeservingly. I don't think beating up on the MAC/CUSA/D-1aa/etc. all season long proves a team is national championship material.

Obviously, a playoff system is the ideal solution, but how many teams should be in the playoffs? How do you decide who makes the playoffs? Should there still be bowl games for the team who do not make the playoffs? etc.
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com/
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Line Judge

Number of posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm

There should be a 16 team playoff system, that will only last 4 weeks of games. There usually is a long break between the regular season and championship game anyways, so this wouldn't make the season last any longer. For the teams that aren't in the top 16, there can be a "toilet bowl", determining the best of the rest. Just like NCAA basketball does with the other tournament they set up during March Madness. (can't remember what they call it off hand).
Back to top Go down
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Back Judge

Number of posts : 55
Favorite Teams : Cincinnati Bearcats, Cleveland Browns

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 12:58 pm

The other basketball tournament is the NIT. There is also another tournament they are starting up this year that is suppose to be similar, but only with 16 teams.
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com/
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

Number of posts : 247
Favorite Teams : Cleveland Browns, Boston Celtics, Ohio State Buckeyes
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 1:45 pm

I agree that it should be a 16 team playoff, but I'd settle for 8. However, I also think that every conference winner deserves a shot even though they would probably get destroyed every year, it would open up opportunities for the Boise States and Hawai'i's (even though they showed they weren't ready) of the future. Once again tho, i'd settle for the top 16 from the coaches poll
Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Line Judge

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

I think 8 teams may be too small, there are a lot more college teams than NFL teams, and 12 NFL teams make the playoffs. So I would think there should be more college playoffs teams than NFL. Plus, since strength of schedule varies so much amongst college teams, I think a broader group of the top teams should be taken. This way teams like Hawaii who play nobody, can finally realize that they aren't national championship caliber, and big teams that play nobodies all season don't fall into the national championship game either. Atzinger, you got a good idea with the champions of each conference getting a shot, but some conferences are built much stronger than others. (SEC>WAC) So some great teams would still get shut out who deserve to go. No matter what the number is, the teams who barely miss it every year are going to say the system needs to be changed, but there has to be a definitive number.
Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, if you are #17 in the polls, tough luck! If you're #17 I'm not sure you deserve it anyway cuz that means you've lost 2 or 3 games or more.
Back to top Go down
Davis7907
Rookie
Rookie
Davis7907

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:26 am

I did a speech about this earlier this year. Most people are open to the idea of a playoff system, but they don't want to lose the tradition of bowl games. So i think that each playoff game should be at a neutral site, with a bowl associated with it.
Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Davis7907 wrote:
I did a speech about this earlier this year. Most people are open to the idea of a playoff system, but they don't want to lose the tradition of bowl games. So i think that each playoff game should be at a neutral site, with a bowl associated with it.

i agree and I actually came up with a system for it awhile back.

It was something like this:

There were 4 brackets (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar)
There were 4 teams placed in each bracket (16 teams total)
There were 2 bowl games attached to each bracket(8 bowl games total)
-I used the highest paying non-bcs bowls (they were: capitol one, chick-fil-a, outback, cotton, gator,champs sports, Alamo, & holiday)
-2 bowl games were assigned to the brackets based on location and conference affiliations
I added up all the money from the 8 non-bcs bowls, the 4 bcs bowls, & the national championship and divided them up so that every team got the same amount in round 1, then the advancing teams got the same amount in round 2 and so on. IIRC, the national champion would end up with around $20 million in payouts ($3 million more than the bcs bowl games).

Round 1 were the 8 non-bcs bowl games
Round 2 were the bcs bowl games
Round 3 was a game between the bcs game winners ( I don't remeber how i had them bracketed but it was something like rose bowl vs. fiesta bowl & sugar bowl vs. orange bowl based primarily on locations of the games)
Round 4 was the national championship game played on a rotation of the 4 bcs bowl games (as it is now)

I hadn't decided how the slots would be filled (top 16 in bcs/polls or the 11 division 1-AA conference winners and 5 "wild-card" teams [the top 5 rated non-conference winners])

I thought it seemed like a good compromise between a playoff and bowl system. I would leave the remaining bowl games to be played amongst non-playoff teams.
Back to top Go down
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator
The Referee

Number of posts : 466
Favorite Teams : Miami Dolphins

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm

AtzingerB wrote:
Davis7907 wrote:

i agree and I actually came up with a system for it awhile back.

It was something like this:

There were 4 brackets (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar)
There were 4 teams placed in each bracket (16 teams total)
There were 2 bowl games attached to each bracket(8 bowl games total)
-I used the highest paying non-bcs bowls (they were: capitol one, chick-fil-a, outback, cotton, gator,champs sports, Alamo, & holiday)
-2 bowl games were assigned to the brackets based on location and conference affiliations
I added up all the money from the 8 non-bcs bowls, the 4 bcs bowls, & the national championship and divided them up so that every team got the same amount in round 1, then the advancing teams got the same amount in round 2 and so on. IIRC, the national champion would end up with around $20 million in payouts ($3 million more than the bcs bowl games).

Round 1 were the 8 non-bcs bowl games
Round 2 were the bcs bowl games
Round 3 was a game between the bcs game winners ( I don't remeber how i had them bracketed but it was something like rose bowl vs. fiesta bowl & sugar bowl vs. orange bowl based primarily on locations of the games)
Round 4 was the national championship game played on a rotation of the 4 bcs bowl games (as it is now)

I hadn't decided how the slots would be filled (top 16 in bcs/polls or the 11 division 1-AA conference winners and 5 "wild-card" teams [the top 5 rated non-conference winners])

I thought it seemed like a good compromise between a playoff and bowl system. I would leave the remaining bowl games to be played amongst non-playoff teams.

This sounds like a pretty good idea.
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:52 pm

This would have been last years playoff under my system idea (With the top ranked 16 teams):

* I left conference affiliations intact.
Rose Bowl- Big Ten and Pac Ten conference winners get 1 & 2 seed with the 1 seed being given to higher ranked team
Fiesta Bowl- top seed goes to Big 12 winner
Sugar Bowl- top seed goes to SEC winner
Orange Bowl- ACC and Big East conference winners get 1 & 2 seed with 1 seed being given to higher ranked team
*The #2 seeds in the Sugar & Fiesta brackets given to highest ranked non-bcs conference winners

* The top bracket (the bracket that contains the highest ranked team [in last years case it was Ohio State]) gets the 16th ranked team as the 4 seed. The 2nd place bracket (bracket containing #2 ranked team) gets the 15th ranked team as the 4 seed. The process continues as such.
- I realize that the 6 bcs conference winners arent automatically ranked 1-6, but the top 10 non conference winners are given wild card spots with the lowest ranked getting the 4th seed in the top bracket. The 2nd lowest ranked getting the 4th seed in the #2 bracket, and so on.

Rose Bowl Bracket (#1 bracket):

1. #1 Ohio State
4. #16 Tennessee

2. #7 USC
3. #12 Florida

Fiesta Bowl Bracket (#4 bracket):

1. #4 Oklahoma
4. #13 Illinois

2. #6 Missouri
3. #8 Kansas

Sugar Bowl Bracket (#2 bracket):

1. #2 LSU
4. #15 Clemson

2. #5 Georgia
3. # 11 Arizona State

Orange Bowl Bracket (#3 bracket):

1. #3 Virginia Tech
4. #14 Boston College

2. #9 West Virginia
3. #10 Hawaii
Back to top Go down
The Referee
Administrator
Administrator
The Referee

Number of posts : 466
Favorite Teams : Miami Dolphins

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 pm

AtzingerB wrote:
This would have been last years playoff under my system idea (With the top ranked 16 teams):

* I left conference affiliations intact.
Rose Bowl- Big Ten and Pac Ten conference winners get 1 & 2 seed with the 1 seed being given to higher ranked team
Fiesta Bowl- top seed goes to Big 12 winner
Sugar Bowl- top seed goes to SEC winner
Orange Bowl- ACC and Big East conference winners get 1 & 2 seed with 1 seed being given to higher ranked team
*The #2 seeds in the Sugar & Fiesta brackets given to highest ranked non-bcs conference winners

* The top bracket (the bracket that contains the highest ranked team [in last years case it was Ohio State]) gets the 16th ranked team as the 4 seed. The 2nd place bracket (bracket containing #2 ranked team) gets the 15th ranked team as the 4 seed. The process continues as such.
- I realize that the 6 bcs conference winners arent automatically ranked 1-6, but the top 10 non conference winners are given wild card spots with the lowest ranked getting the 4th seed in the top bracket. The 2nd lowest ranked getting the 4th seed in the #2 bracket, and so on.

Rose Bowl Bracket (#1 bracket):

1. #1 Ohio State
4. #16 Tennessee

2. #7 USC
3. #12 Florida

Fiesta Bowl Bracket (#4 bracket):

1. #4 Oklahoma
4. #13 Illinois

2. #6 Missouri
3. #8 Kansas

Sugar Bowl Bracket (#2 bracket):

1. #2 LSU
4. #15 Clemson

2. #5 Georgia
3. # 11 Arizona State

Orange Bowl Bracket (#3 bracket):

1. #3 Virginia Tech
4. #14 Boston College

2. #9 West Virginia
3. #10 Hawaii

These are some pretty exciting match-ups
my predicting for the winners would be if the winners face each winner in each bracket
Ohio St VS USC
Oklahoma VS MIZZ
LSU VS Georgia
VT VS WV

still very good match-ups
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 6:12 pm

* Conference winners get higher seeds than at large teams regardless of bcs ranks

Rose Bowl Bracket:

1. #1 Ohio State
4. #12 Florida

2. #7 USC
3. #5 Georgia

Fiesta Bowl Bracket:

1. #4 Oklahoma
4. # 6 Missouri

2. # 17 BYU
3. UCF

Sugar Bowl Bracket:

1. #2 LSU
4. # 11 Arizona State

2. #10 Hawaii
3. Florida Atlantic

Orange Bowl Bracket:

1. #3 Virginia Tech
4. #8 Kansas

2. #9 West Virginia
3. Central Michigan

Not nearly as exciting and would more than likely never happen, but it would give every conference a place in the playoff and chance to have a national champion.
Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Line Judge

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 1:13 am

Seems like you got a decent idea there Atzinger.
The only problem they say with getting rid of the bowl games is the amount of income the colleges make from bowl games. If i remember correctly, Michigan got a couple million dollars just for Michigan accepting to play against Florida last year. It helps drive scholarships and stuff I think, but I'm not a huge college football follower, so I could be wrong on this.
Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 10:22 am

yeah, you're pretty much right. I don't remember what bowl Michigan and Florida played in but it was definitely a decent enough bowl game where they probably got around $2 Million per team. Here is a Link to the bowl payout amounts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your BCS solutions?   Your BCS solutions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your BCS solutions?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: NCAA Football-
Jump to: