Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The #1 Site for NFL News on the Net!

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Back Judge

Number of posts : 55
Favorite Teams : Cincinnati Bearcats, Cleveland Browns
Registration date : 2008-02-04

NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Empty
PostSubject: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 2:21 pm

NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility 1742167

The NCAA has denied Ben Mauk of the University of Cincinnati from obtaining another year of eligibility. Mauk broke his arm while playing for Wake Forest in the 2006 season opener and asked for the extra year of eligibility to make up for the lost season.

ESPN Article

GoBearcats.com Article

sadpanda
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com/
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

Number of posts : 247
Favorite Teams : Cleveland Browns, Boston Celtics, Ohio State Buckeyes
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Didn't the NCAA give Jason White, QB from Oklahoma and Heisman Trophy winner, an extra year of eligibility for his knee injury? Why not give Mauk another year?

I think that the NCAA should either deny everyone any extra eligibility for injuries, or give every player an extra year of eligibility for an injury that causes a player to miss 10 consecutive games (or some sort of rule like that). Maybe they denied him cause he only plays for a small football program like Cincinatti and not a big one like Oklahoma. shrug
Back to top Go down
Line Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Line Judge

Number of posts : 211

PostSubject: Re: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 3:00 am

I would have liked to see Mauk return. However, this should make Demetrius Jones the starter next year. He was a top QB recruit out of high school, 6'4'' 202 lbs. Runs the spread offense awesomely. Transferred from Notre Dame after Weiss decided to stick with Clausen at QB, since he transferred to UC before the start of last school year at UC (who is on quarters instead of semesters) Jones can play this upcoming season for the Bearcats.
Back to top Go down
AtzingerB
Rookie
Rookie
AtzingerB

Number of posts : 247
Favorite Teams : Cleveland Browns, Boston Celtics, Ohio State Buckeyes
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm

I thought he transfered to Northern Illinois, not Cincinnatti?

I just checked and you are correct about going to Cincinatti. I thought I remebered he went to Northern Illinois, but I guess I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Back Judge
Administrator
Administrator
Back Judge

Number of posts : 55
Favorite Teams : Cincinnati Bearcats, Cleveland Browns

PostSubject: Re: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Mauk Update:

Quote :
Quarterback Ben Mauk said he was disappointed in the NCAA’s decision to deny him a sixth year of eligibility but remains optimistic that he will be running the UC offense next fall.

“I’m excited,” he said, “becaus now we start a new process and I actually get to talk to the NCAA instead of writing letters. I get to actually let them hear my voice and let them know who I am and why I deserve a sixth year. I think that will be a big help. Now I get to let them know every little detail. I think that will be a big help when you hear someone’s voice and actually hear the story come from them.”

Mauk, who was denied a sixth year because the NCAA said there wasn’t enough documentation of the injury that he says forced him to be pulled from competition during his redshirt freshman year at Wake Forest in 2003, is in the process of appealing that decision to a six-member Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

He will have 10 minutes to address the committee by phone. Four of those members will have to rule in his favor in order to get the decision overturned. No date has been set for that hearing.

Mauk arrived at Wake Forest shortly after having surgery to remove a screw in his toe. The screw had been placed there during surgery he underwent after breaking his leg during his freshman year in high school.

As a result of that surgery, he says, he was unable to play to his maximum ability at Wake and therefore should be granted another year.

But the documentation for any treatment he received for that injury at Wake or for any decisions that removed him from competition does not exist, according to UC compliance director Maggie McKinley.

“Wake didn’t have anything in their records about followup care for that foot,” McKinley said. “They didn’t have anything that said Ben couldn’t participate because of that foot.
“They said we have these notes but they weren’t anything like what we thought they would be. The documentation that supported it pretty much ended on June 12, which is when he reported for summer school.”

Mauk said today that he was on Wake’s traveling squad until about the midway point of his freshman year, but was removed before the trip to Florida State because of his injury.
But he said he doesn’t blame Wake Forest for not having the documentation.

“I don’t blame Wake Forest at all,” he said. “That’s one of the things that kind of gets you between a rock and a hard place. I’m not somebody that complains. I always try to bounce back as fast as I can from any blow that life deals me. Looking back, if I would have complained and been a crybaby this wouldn’t be such a problem. But because I was trying to be tough and tried to push through an injury and overcome it, I almost feel like I’m being penalized for that.”

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/default.asp
Back to top Go down
https://theredzone.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility   NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NCAA denies Mauk 6th year of eligibility
Page 1 of 1